Friday, November 18, 2011

Wholeness From Brokenness - Kimberly Zweygardt

Kim and her extended family
In 1979 I left behind my small home town in Kansas and followed the "yellow brick road" seeking fame and fortune. But I didn't find it and instead found heartache. I came home to raise my three year old daughter and putting my dreams on hold. Though I thought I'd given up my dreams of "happily ever after", instead, God made my dreams come true.

With my history of disastrous relationships I only wanted what God wanted for me, but I didn't know how to find it. So I made a list. Everyone I dated was like a job interview. Like, "What are your views on this?" Check! "What are your views on that?" Minus!

I wasn't even sure I should look for love as I'd failed so often. I even thought God wanted me to remain single. But my little girl had other ideas. She wanted a Daddy and began to pray that God would give her one. And it's hard to argue theology with a four-year-old!

Finally a friend said, "Kim if that is the desire of your heart - to have a godly husband - ask for it! After all, God wants to give you the desire of your heart." I went home that night and got out my prayer journal and poured out my heart's desire to God.

Kary lived about 40 miles away. And though he'd been alone for 5 years he wanted to find a special someone. But he'd made up his mind he wouldn't settle for less than God's best. He would simply concentrate on raising his two sons and wait on God. A mutual friend gave Kary my number, but he didn't call until months later. But when he did, we talked for over three hours. We had so many things in common it was uncanny. We talked about our kids and our hopes and dreams. We talked about the Lord. And by then I knew this guy was something special.

After some time he called again inviting my daughter and I on a date and to meet his two boys. We all had a wonderful time. And when we got back to the car Kary decided to kiss me good night. Now this was with 3 kids in the back seat!  "I think he's gonna kiss her! Yes, he is! Yes, he is! He's kissing her!"

Kary got so flustered, he missed my lips and kissed my eye! But I thought it so romantic. And how brave to kiss me in front of two five-year-olds and a nine-year-old!

By this time Kary decided to propose, but our evening out was cold. When we got out of the car I reached for his coat. "Can I borrow it?" But, "No!" he said. "I'm cold." and whipped it away from me.

Wow! What happened to chivalry? Ah, but I didn't know the ring and roses were hidden in his coat, until he knelt down before me. Well my answer was exactly like, "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

We've been married for over fifteen glorious years, now. Kary still makes me laugh like no other and fun characterizes our family. God has brought wholeness from brokenness in both our lives and I praise Him for it.

1 comment:

Kim Zweygardt said...

Thanks, Rita for publishing our true life love story! God always has the best for us in mind and it is worth the wait! Blessings, Kim