Sunday, February 3, 2013

TOGETHER at LAST

The family with Ken and Daphne celebrating a special birthday
The doctor looked so serious 

as he approached my bedside. “What's up Doc?” I asked. He replied, “Ken, my boy, I'm afraid it is hepatitis and you will need to postpone your wedding.” “Oh no! For how long?”  “probably six months as you will need to be here for three and then there will be the travel arrangements...”

I lay back on the pillows too tired and weak to do more than ask for time to think about it. My fiancee, Daphne, had all the arrangements for our wedding in Brisbane well under way. After ten days which are blank in my mind, the doctor again advised me to send a telegram postponing our wedding. I calculated the dates and realised that I had five weeks to the alter. Crying to God for help I began to complain, “Lord I can't believe that you have kept us apart for over two years, only to now be faced with further separation.”  Yet that same day the local missionary brought me his portable short-wave radio tuned in to the Far East Broadcast Company in The Philippines. The first program started with the old hymn “Be still my soul, the Lord is on your side” It was like the voice of the Lord speaking to my heart.

Soon after I opened twelve letters from Daphne  held up in a strike. The last one said, “Honey, I've sent out half of the wedding invitations but with this strike I don't know what's happening. So, I'm going ahead in faith and I'm sending out the rest of the invitations, trusting God to bring you home in time.”  My decision was easy; if Daphne could trust God to bring me home in time then I could trust Him to give me the strength to fly home to Australia and into the arms of the woman I loved. And He did.

Ken continues:

After Christian service together in Zambia we returned to Australia and spent many years in Church leadership on the home front. Then twenty years in business life demonstrated that the God who is able to see us through the difficulties in Christian service is equally able to meet our needs in the business world.  Testings will always come but the rich experiences of trusting God through the difficult times have proved that He “will never leave us nor forsake us, so that we may confidently say that the Lord is my helper I will not fear...”

Thanks Ken for sharing your personal experiences  of the Lord's faithfulness in your lives.



 

1 comment:

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

It just goes to show, God is the healer...And Proverbs 3:5-6 is what we need stand on. We can't rely on our own understanding, we need to "trust in the Lord."