Friday, February 13, 2015

VALENTINE'S DAY

Wedding Day - 1973
I asked my friend, Sue, to share how she met her future husband, Ken.

Looking back in retrospect-it's amazing how God takes care of His own. Both Ken and I were "outreach" kids from non-Christian homes with catholic backgrounds. My parents moved around a lot when I was growing up- I went to five different schools before high school, but they finally settled in Leichhardt - where they had both grown up and met, just in time for me to start high school.

Through outreach contacts to my father, I was picked up every Sunday and taken to Hebron Hall and learned about the love of God and His son Jesus - something that was a bit lacking at times at home.

By the time I was about 14,  there was a young married couple from Campsie Assembly who came with one of their "outreach" boys, and like all newly married couples, they felt a responsibility to find a suitable interest for their young, serious, Ken. After settling in and sussing out the prospects, they made their choice and tried to encourage him to take an interest.
One thing about Ken - he likes to steer his own ship - and this was not the direction he was going.
We were in youth group together with a mutual friend base, and our beliefs were the same. But even though I thought he was gorgeous and had an enormous crush on him - he refused to be moved.

Twice I asked him to my Y12 formal - and each time he fobbed me off - preferring to go to the movies with his mates. I remember woefully moaning to my nan about his lack of interest - and she laughed, giving her words of wisdom that there were plenty of other fish in the sea. But I told her, 'I intend to marry him.' She laughed even harder then. Ah, the flightiness of youth.

Once I finished school I had just about given up - then - out of the blue- he asked me out to dinner! He's such a romantic at times - never forgets birthday or anniversaries - I even get flowers for Valentines Day.

I asked him many years later why he finally asked me out - and he replied - "I finally gave in to the inevitable". Fortunately for him he elaborated. He said he knew in his heart that God had said this is the one - but as I said before - he likes to steer his own course- got to love the man - warts and all.

We've had our ups and downs- but our vows before God are what are most important to us - never to be taken lightly. This year we celebrate 42 years of marriage - but really its a lifetime of growing up together. All praise to God!

No comments: